While we were down in Jacksonville for One Spark, we had a chance to check out the Marbel Electric Skateboard. It was easily my favorite thing at the festival. Anyhow, Marbel just launched a Kickstarter Campaign to fund the mass production of the boards. Here is what I wrote about the board after first seeing it in person:
The bulk of the electrical hardware is actually contained within the deck itself. The deck is hollow, leaving more than enough room inside for the electric components. The board is made of super lightweight and sturdy carbon-Kevlar mixture. The Marbel skateboard has a top speed of 20 miles per hour, though you probably would not want to go that fast. There is an app that comes along with the board that allows for speed customization, e.g. setting a top speed.While the board is not available just yet, the Marbel team told us that they will retail somewhere between $1000-1200.
That all holds up, but the Marbel team has made a few additions to the board and app, and also released more details about the board. First and foremost, the Kickstarter campaign gives us the first look at the app:
The app lets you toggle and tweak the acceleration and top speed of the Marbel skateboard. The app also lets you, “map, compare, and even share your favorite rides with friends and other Marbel riders.”1 The team also released a spec sheet, giving us the first look at the battery and engine:
- Battery: 165 Wh Lithium Ion Battery with custom BMS
- Charging: From empty to full in just 90 minutes
- Drive System: 2000W brushless motor (almost 3 horsepower)
- Dimensions: 38?x 10?x 5?
- Braking: Regenerative electronic braking
- Throttle Control: Wireless Grip Controller and Dashboard App
- Included Extras: Universal charger, USB charging port, shock absorbing comfort riser pads, Marbel iOS + Android Dashboard App available for FREE download.2
You can pre-order the Marbel for $1,099. While that’s a lot of money for a skateboard, it looks like it is worth it. Here is our chat with the Marbel Team from One Spark: