Inkcase Plus Second Screen
One of the coolest things I have ever seen is the Yota Phone. The Yota Phone is an Android handset that has two screens: A normal HD screen on the front, and an always on e-ink screen on the back. The whole idea is that it is much more battery efficient to put notifications, and to read on the e-ink screen. Also, it is just cool. The only problem with the Yota Phone, however, is that it is currently only available in Europe and Asia. However, one company wants to bring similar features all across the World. Oaxis has built an e-ink phone case – the InkCase Plus – that brings many of the Yota’s functions to any phone:
The InkCase Plus is awesome.
InkCase+ will let consumers personalise their phone case and allow alerts to be pushed to the low power E Ink screen. This means that when users want to check their notifications or even read a book there’s no need to power on the main screen, what’s more the low power E Ink screen also means notifications are always visible.1
Here are the specs for the InkCase Plus:
- 3.5” (8.75cm) E Ink display in a compact 2.25” (5.7cm) x 4.25” (10.8cm) body.
- InkCase+ uses industry standard BlueTooth technology to communicate with smartphones.
- At just 45g and 5mm thick the InkCase+ is one of the smallest and lightest information displays on the market.
- 500mAh lithium polymer battery allowing 7 days of standby time, 3400 pages of reading or 19 hours of continuous operation.
- InkCase+ supports all Android smartphones running Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and above.2
The InkCase Plus launched on Kickstarer on July 15th, and passed is goal of $100,000 within 4 hours. Take a look at this video:
- Oaxis News, “OAXIS adds a second E Ink screen to your smartphone with launch of InkCase+ on Kickstarter,” 15 July 2014 ▲
- Ibid ▲