SXSW is not the sort of event that you would usually expect to find high-brow economic and policy commentary. But, alas, that is what we have found; sort of. The Economist Group – the publisher behind The Economist magazine, EuroFinance and other publications – has set-up a unique event here at this years SXSW.
The Economist Group has sent their Lean back team to Austin with a unique agenda.1 The Lean back team will, and has been, hosting live video chats and audience Q&As with various high profile SXSW attendees. On the surface, that sounds pretty run-of-the-mill. However, to make these chats interactive Lean back is utilizing Shindig’s video chat technology platform.
According to the New York company’s website:
Shindig’s proprietary technology enables you to give an online reading, talk, or interview in front of an online group of 50 to 1000. In Shindig, you can share the stage with fans and take questions from audience members. Additionally Shindig adds a unique social dimension to events by allowing fans themselves to also interact with one another in private video chats.2
In a statement regarding the use of Shindig’s platform, Nick Blunden, The Economist Group’s SVP and Global head of digital and content strategy noted: “The Lean back interactive webinar provides an exciting opportunity for The Economist to bring SXSW to readers around the globe using the latest video chat technology…Using this platform attendees will have unique access to ask questions and network amongst themselves using face-to-face video chat.” This video series provides interested parties the chance to interact with business leaders on a very personal level without having to travel to Austin. The events will take place from March 9th to March 11th and will include such speakers as:
- Richard Choi, Director -Advertising Strategy, Chevrolet
- Rebecca Harris, social media expertise lead, GM
- Dave Marsey, managing director, DigitasLBi
- John Ellett, CEO, nFusion Group
- Rajat Paharia, founder, Bunchball
- Andrew Gill, global business social partner, IBM
- Bachir Zeroual, global director of marketing ventures, Coca-Cola Co.
- Dave Evans, VP of social strategy, Lithium
- Jesse Suchmann, VP/Director, DigitasLBi
- According to The Economist Group’s Website: “Lean back is The Economist Group’s marketing blog for top thinkers and practitioners to share ideas for engaging with consumers in new ways. We post a mix of data, news, and commentary from around the world that provides insights into the evolution of multi-platform marketing.” ▲
- About Shindig ▲